Monday, February 25, 2013

Nascar and Lace

I don't think that I am going out on a limb here, to say that my husband is about half Redneck.  He likes guns and hunting.  He drinks beer and whiskey.  His favorite colors are Harley orange and black, chrome and camoflage.  He likes his motorcycle and truck.  He likes cars, especially fast cars.  So, of course, he likes Nascar.

This past weekend was the Daytona 500, the season opener for Nascar.   The "Superbowl of Nascar".  I don't get how the first race of the season is likened to the Superbowl, but those are questions that I don't care enough to ask. 

As usual, our local American Legion was having a little bash, that my sweetie was instrumental in managing.  I arranged daycare for our little tykes, and joined him.  I had some skin in the game (a whole $5), so that made me mildly interested in the race.  Plus, I earned brownie points for "quality time" with the hubby at an event I have only passing interest. 

I was the only person knitting during the race.  After a six week hiatus, I brought Black Rose back into the active queue.  I completed five rows during the race.  That may not sound like much, but for a project like Black Rose, that is a 5k run.  I am within a few rows of where I had to pull the lifeline before.  In spite of the race, people milling around and other distractions, I followed the directions without mishap.  Maybe I just needed to practice a little more lace (ahem, Fuchsia Wave) before returning to Rose. 

Today, it is all about the practice. 

P.S.  My driver did not place in a paying spot.  :-(  My sweetie's driver was taken out in that wreck in the first 25 laps.  Dead last is a paying spot, you at least get your $5 back, but his driver got his car fixed and back on the track long enough to take work his way out of last place.  I had a difficult time convincing my sweetie that it was not a personal thing against him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment