Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The First Taste is Free

I completed only a small amount of knitting last night at Knittervention, but that was by design.  I had another mission: to create a new knitter.  "I have needles and yarn, all you need to bring is yourself," and to my delight, she came.  I started off easy: cast on a few stitches for her, then taught the knit stitch.  At first, she said she felt like a newborn deer trying to walk, very awkward.  A few rows later, she was getting the hang of it.  I was on hand to correct any minor problems.  As she gained confidence and lost awkwardness, her tension improved. 

After two hours, I sent her off with the homework assignment to practice a little, and next time, we would learn the purl stitch. 

Today, it is all about the teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment