Thursday, May 7, 2009

In Memoriam

The crafting world lost a devotee last week. My aunt died. After 63 years, her needles and hooks are still. I remember her working on endless Dr. Who scarves in the 80's. She crocheted a Christening gown for my son. I am well stocked with cotton dishcloths and potholders. She crocheted Christening blankets for a church. I just don't ever remember a time when she wasn't knitting or crocheting something.



When she died, sure enough. One last blanket in progress. I told my uncle that I would finish it, and send it to him. I should have looked at how far along she was (and how much there was left to go) before I opened by mouth, but there it is. I have long preferred knitting to crocheting, but I remember how to do it, and I found the instructions in the basket.



Ironically, I gave her the yarn to begin with. A mound of white, gray and blue balls from a long ago abandoned project. This yarn is haunting me, coming back to force me to use it again.

Meanwhile, I hope heaven has yarn stores.

Today, it is all about the honoring.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Aunt. I'm sure she would be happy to know that you are finishing her project for her, although I can appreciate the irony of the situation you are in now.
    My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete