Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Hats Off to St. Baldericks

One of our Knittervention attendees organizes an annual charity event.  St. Baldericks is a charity geared towards childhood cancer.  The event is Rock the Bald, encouraging people to shave their heads in support of children with cancer.

Of course, newly shaved heads become cold, and that is where the knitters come in.  She mentioned a month ago that they had a goal to give each shavee a handknit hat.  Several of us had already donated a few knit items for raffle prizes, but she also made this specific request.  The request did not fall on deaf ears.  At Knittervention last night, five out of six of us were dutifully knitting hats to donate to St. Baldericks.  (The sixth person was a newbie who did not know about the hat need, so she could easily be forgiven.)  There was also a small stack of finished hats.  (I admit it, I forgot to bring mine.  Next time!)

Drawing on the same spirit of woman in decades pasts to answered the call when there was a need, I felt proud to be a knitter.  From Depression Era Americans to British women during the Battle of Briton (and more, those come to mind because of my recent reading material) knitters answer the call when there is a need to create warmth.

Like I said, makes me proud to be a knitter.  Now, if you will excuse me, there is a half finished hat that needs my attention.

Today, it is all about the pride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment