Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Blame it on the Brain

Last week, I was ice skating with the Cub Scouts.  This was the second time that I have gone ice skating in the past 25 years.  Apparently, that is not enough, because I slipped on the ice, and smacked the back of my head on the ice.  Twice.  The second time left me rather dazed.  As I was at work the next morning, it became apparent that I was not well.  Mid-morning, I was able to get out to a doctor, who confirmed that I had a mild concussion.

She gave me a long list of things to avoid:  texting and otherwise looking at a smart phone, emailing and otherwise looking at a computer screen, reading, writing, and anything that requires concentration.  Specific to me, no knitting.  That is . . . . pretty much everything I do in a day.  A forced day or two off from work wouldn't be a bad thing, but less fun if I couldn't read or knit.  I literally had to be a couch potato.

After a day or two, I risked some easy knitting: a placemat.  Garter stitch, in the round, hardly any pattern type of knitting.   I thought I would be safe.  I. Was. Wrong.  Apparently, I had misplaced one of my stitch markers.  There are four stitch markers, forming the four corners of the placemat, and I increase a stitch every knit row on either side of the marker on every knit row.  Easy  peasy, unless you lose a marker.  Ten rows later, I noticed my mistake.  Now I am tinking every row that I have knit the past week.  How discouraging.

Today, it is all about following doctor's orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment