Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A. B. S.

Anything But Shawl

After another month of dutifully knitting exclusively on the endless ruffle.  I have made almost significant progress.  One ball down, another ball halfway down.  A mere inch completed of the ruffle.  Last night, I knit for 2 1/2 hours, and completed 2/3 of a row.  On June 15th, I will celebrate the first (and God willing, only) anniversary of working on the Duchess shawl. 

So this morning, it happened:  I cracked.  I simply could not face another day knitting on the same ol' ruffle.  I couldn't even face the idea of knitting on the briefcase-appropriate sock in progress. 

I HAD to start something completely new. 

I considered the Swirl Skirt, since my sweetie bought the yarn for me as a birthday present.  Then I saw that it called for Size 5 needles.  The ruffle has size 5 needles.  That correlation alone made me immediately reject that project.  Plus, I am NOT going to buy ANOTHER size 5 circular needle because I was impatient one morning. 

So instead, I pulled out some prety dove gray yarn that I bought years ago in Poland.  I haven't been able to locate the pattern that fits the image that I have in my head.  I found something close on Ravelry, but closer inspection showed that it was an unspecified modfied version of another pattern.  Sp I have to modify the modification, without knowing precisely what the modifications were.

Also, the original (and probably the modified version) were in worsted/bulky yarn.  My yarn is closer to fingering.  So not only am I modifying the modification, but I am doing it with significantly different yarn weight. 

So apparently, I am just going to wing it.  Unless I come to my senses while I am still swatching, and come crawling back to the shawl. 

Today, it is all about the senseless. 

(P.S.  I took pictures, but I am having, er, techinical difficulties.  The printer is looking at the memory chip, but the computer is playing hard to get.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment