Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Evolution of a Local Yarn Store

There once was a knitting group.  It started with a couple friends who met at the local Barnes and Noble once in a while to knit.  They decided to make a regular schedule, so others could join.  I was one of those others.  As the group grew, we moved to a small ice cream store on Main Street.  Inside that shop, they had shelves. Shelves that artisans would lease to sell their wares.  An idea was born.

A few knitters combined their resources to buy some wholesale sock yarn, to put on one of those shelves.  At first, I think they just wanted to ensure a supply of quality sock yarns for themselves, and sell the rest to cover their expenses.

The sock yarn sold.  More yarn was purchased wholesale, and more yarn sold quickly.  And a yarn store was born.

Sixteen years later, that yarn store is closing.  Beth's children are grown, and she probably wishes to enjoy her retirement.  It is the end of the era.

At first, I was sad.  Then I realized that there would be sales.  Many, many yarn sales.  A few weeks ago, I told my kids that I could not buy yarn for ten years, and still be able to knit the whole time.  But how can I resist deep discounts on yarn?

The discounts on everything start Saturday.  20% off nearly the entire store.  Plus weekly pop up sales.  40% off a type of yarn, all grouped onto a table.  This week is mohair, all weights.  And I love me some mohair.  Lofty, whispy mohair.

By the time this store closes its doors for the last time, I may have twenty years of yarn.

Today it is all about the beginning of the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment