Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Third Time Charmed

My third attempt at the Cozy Cowl was indeed the last.  Success!  Hurray for math!  (Shhh, don't tell sister Anna Maria, my freshman algebra teacher.  I would hate to think that she was right about something.)  I am now the proud displayer of a soft and woolie cowl, guaranteed to keep my head warm in the bitterest of Indiana winters.

I was uncharacteristically monogamous to the cowl.  Maybe it was the Indiana that seems to get colder and longer every year.  Maybe it is just where my mind is these days.  So many things going on, so little space in the RAM of my brain to allocate between them.  Knitting seems to get the brain power that is leftover after everything else in my life, limiting the level of difficulty these days.

We are still moving the last of the random things in my mom's basement.  Some  most of the last random items have literally been in her basement for years.  I am finding yarn and projects that I forgot I had.  Some have been the source of new inspiration, some have been more along the  "what was I thinking?" lines.

I am trying to approach the large, neglected stack of WIP's in a positive manner.  I don't want to beat myself up about a single sock that I have been working on for years.  I have decided to take them one at a time.  Pick up and evaluate it.  Do I still like the yarn?  Do I still like the pattern?  Are the yarn and pattern working?  If not, I have given myself permission to frog without guilt.  Give away the yarn, if I don't like it.  Put it back in the stash if I do.

I started with a single pre-heel sock.  I had remembered the pattern as being too fiddly, and opened the bag with trepidation.  To my surprise, I was able to immediately figure out where I was in the pattern repeat, and I did still like the pattern.  I will see if the other rows are too fiddly, but in the meantime, it is in my briefcase for before-court knitting.  One neglected WIP back in progress, way too many more to go.

And, I started something new.

Today, it is all about the new and the old.  




No comments:

Post a Comment