Thursday, March 4, 2010

Socks for Grandma

I can't find my camera this morning, so pictures will have to wait until next time.

I started my mother's socks a few days ago. Toe-up, a make-it-up-as-I-go general idea in my head, and detailed notes so I can replicate the finished product in a second sock.

Then, the other day, my mother mentioned that my grandmother wants me to make her a pair of socks. Now, don't get me wrong, I consider that a compliment to my knitterly abilities. However, agreeing to knit socks for a 93 year old woman carries a lot of pressure. THESE socks can't be procrastinated. THESE socks can be put aside in favor of the newest yarn, pattern or technique that captures my attention. THESE socks have to be finished, without undue delay. I am not sure that Mom and Grandma really understand that knitting a sock in sock yarn is not a small project, even if it is small in size.

SO, the first hurdle was easy. I already had the perfect yarn. My grandmother loves pastels, I had some Opal Petticoat, that I had frogged from a previously unloved project. Last night, I hunted down two Size 2 circulars, so I can knit both socks at a time. I also rinsed the yarn, to get the kinks out from its previous life. This mornimg, the yarn in nearly dry, and I can wind it into a ball. I hope to start knitting today.

Because with a toddler and newborn in the house, I have so much free time.

Today, it is all about the pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment