Friday, June 25, 2010

"What are you doing up?"

My sweetie leaves for work around 5:45. Even if I am awake, I usually wait until after he leaves to start moving around, so that I don't risk getting into his way. Yesterday, I got up earlier. When he asked, I told him that I wanted to get a little work done before the kids woke up, since I was only going into the office for a half day. I spent about ten minutes before he left for arranging work materials, shuffling papers and looking like I was getting ready to work.

I was lying. My plan was to use the quiet time to knit. I wanted to finish those heels, and I needed a decent chunk of uninterrupted time to do so.

I forgot for one day that lying is bad, even a little white lie that doesn't hurt anyone. After my sweetie left, I took a quick shower, got a fresh Diet Coke and settled on the sofa. Before I could even open the knitting bag, I heard my newborn waking up.

Awake baby equals no knitting, and my punishment for lying.

And yet, all was not lost. Last night, I ignored the clean dishes in the dishwasher and the toys scattered on the living room floor, and convenienty forgot the fact that I had told my sweetie that i was going to go grocery shopping after the kids went to sleep, and I knit instead.

The heels are nearly done, and I found them to be easier than I remembered. I was able to modify the generic instructions without any problems, and even the progression of instructions appeared logical to me. A few more rows, and I will be ready to pick up and gusset.

I have a renewed urgency to finish these socks. Grandma ended up in the hospital this week. She broke her leg, so nothing too serious in theory, but at her age, anything can be serious. The surgery to place a rod inside of her thighbone went well, and they are hoping to transfer her to a rehab center sometime in the next day or two. Mom has been spending a lot of time at the hospital with Grandma, hence my part-time hours at the office. Can't watch two kids under 2 in a hospital room all day. We are looking at a month or two at the rehab center before she can go back home.

Wouldn't it be nice if Grandma could have pretty socks when she is at the rehab center?

Today, it is all about the urgency.

No comments:

Post a Comment