Thursday, February 21, 2013

I'm Gonna Need a Bigger Needle

For an allegedly intelligent woman, I am shockingly dense about some knit things.  For instance, I have repeatedly been oblivious to the fact that only a certain number of stitches can fit on a needle, be it straight or circular. 

This problem has been increased with the popularity of ruffles.  I start a ruffle.  The stitches fit.  Increase.  Knit.  Increase.  Oh, dear.  As each increase row doubles the stitches, it doesn't take long to become overcrowded. 

I am encountering this problem with Pretty In Pink.  (I didn't bother with another picture.  Look at the last one, then mentally add a half inch.)  The stitches fit fine on the needle.  A bit crowded, but workable.  But after I finish the current row, I am going to go from 410 stitches to 820.  The end count will be over 3000.  (I know, I know.  Prepare now for stitch number rants in the near future.)

I think it may be time for me to invest in some interchangable circular needles.    Extra long cables.  I understand that some even have cables that you can stack together end to end, for those knitters that are stupid ambitious enough to do ruffles or edges on all three/four sides of a garment.

I know that there are a number of different brands.  Thoughts from the peanut gallery?  Likes?  Dislikes?  I am particularly picky about my joins.  And I like lace knitting, so I want very pointy points.  I usually like metal, but I am not anti-wood.  I don't like plastic, though its stickiness on slick yarn is tolerated.   

Today, it is all about the advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment