Friday, February 15, 2013

Oh, what new sweet hell is this?

Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I enjoy knitting.  Normally, I smile as I knit, and feel the stress and tension of the day leave my body, mind, and soul with each stitch.  The soft click of the needles marches the thumps of my heart, and for one moment of time, the worries of the world slip away. 

Then there are weeks like this, when I think that knitting truly casts doubt on my sanity. 

Monday night was Knit Night.  Over 90 minutes (I was running a bit late) of uninterrupted knitting time, and all I was able to accomplish was picking up the 180 stitches on the long side of Fuschia Wave.  The short sides have an provisional cast on, so it is just a matter of switching the stitches from the waste yarn to the circular needle.  (My first ever use of the provisional cast on, so there may be a hidden disaster lurking.)  But the remaining 180 stitches on the other long side hang over my head like a thundercloud in July.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to work on it since. 

Then last night, I realized I was setting myself up for a similar situation with Pretty In Pink.  I started the second increase row one evening, worked on it a second evening, and realized I am only halfway through the row.  Then I glanced at the directions, and read that there were several more increase rows.  According to my math, I will end up with more than 3000 stitches after the final increase. 

3000+ stitches for a bloody scarf!  What I am thinking?  Have I lost all sense of reality?  Tiny yarn, tiny needles, millions of stitches.  Charts and symbols and stitches, oh my!

Where are my socks?  There must be a couple socks in progress here! Still tiny yarn, but only 60 stitches to the row. 

Today, it is all about the knitting nutty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment