Thursday, May 23, 2013

Half Precision

In my single gal days, I dated a rocket scientist in training.  Literally.  He was getting his Ph.D in engineering, something to do with intercepting rockets, I think.  There were times when he drove me bat-crap crazy, months spent searching for a drop of something that would resemble a human emotion, but that is a story for a different day on a different blog. 

My nonchalant relationship with math would drive HIM crazy.  My approximations and "close enough" mentality would drive him to exasperation.  "Put your hands up, and step away from the math!"

Intellectually, I understand that math needs to be precise, but usually I don't.  Worrying about the possible yarn shortage of Fuchsia Wave has me upping my math, at least my sense of precision.  I will be cutting the yarn close to the edge.  Am I halfway through the ball now, or was I a few inches of edge ago?  Do I really have a half ball left from knitting the body?  Or is it a bit more or less than half.  A few percentage points may mean the difference between a finished shawl and me sobbing at the end of the yarn with a few inches yet to go.  Every foot of mohair counts!

I am sure there is a complicated formula that would tell me now if I will have enough yarn.  Weigh the existing balls;  measure precise yarn requirements per edge repeat; calculate the remaining repeats. . . .Ugh, just typing it give me flashbacks to Sister Anna Marie and her ruler.

I guess I am just a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants knitter, even when it leads me to disaster.  17 inches completed on long edge #1.  145 inches to success (or slightly less to failure). 

Today, it is all about the edginess.   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment