Monday, June 17, 2013

Close Parentheses

I figured out my error.  I have long since completely memorized the pattern for the Noro shawl.  Not: mostly memorized with a crib sheet.  Not: mostly know but refer to the chart periodcally.  COMPLETELY memorized.  And I am working on it often enough that I don't forget. 

The risk to memorization is that my mind adds on something random and wrong, which gets incorporated on all future rows.  Turns out my mind was the culprit this time. I added a yarn over at the end of the pattern repeat, that is not supposed to be there.  I did it for several rows, hence the five extra stitchs.  It isn't as out in left field as it sounds.  There is a yarn over, knit, yarn over at the beginning of the repeat, but the repeat ends with yarn over, knit. 

Note to self: remember where the close parentheses is for patterns.

The good news is that I have ripped out the offending rows.  (Now that I think on it, I probably could have just dropped down the five rows and removed  the extra yarn over.  Ach!  Well, it probably would have been too loose on that side if I had done that.  Better to rip.)  And the shawl is ready for it's debut at Knitter-vention tonight. 

Today, it is all about the (lack of) memory. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment